40 killed in two-bus crashes in Senegal

By John Mac

In a weekend carnage that occured in Senegal, two buses were said to have collided in the West Africa Senegal city of Gniby, killing 40 people and injuring an unspecified number of others on Sunday. No details had been made public so far about what caused the bus crash in Gniby, which sits in the Kaffrine region in central Senegal.

As a matter of fact, the accident happened on No. 1 National Road before dawn. And Colonel Cheikh Fall, who leads Senegal’s National Fire Brigade, initially put the death toll at 38 with 87 injured.

READ MORE: Benin’s Election: Opposition Parties to Participate in the Ballot

Irrespective of that, Senegal’s President Macky Sall said he has called for a three-day national mourning because of the accident, which will begin on Monday. “An inter-ministerial council will be held on the same date to take firm up measures on road safety and public passenger transport,” Sall said in a translated Twitter post in the wake of the accident.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

17 − seventeen =