Friday, April 4, 2025

Fans Hit at Osihmen for Shunning Portugal Friendly

Following Osihmen’s refusal to participate in Portugal-Nigeria friendly, a host of Nigerians have taken to social media to hit at Napoli striker, Victor Osimhen. This came after the Nigerian Football Federation announced that the player had been ruled out of the country’s friendly against Napoli.

The Eagle’s striker was initially among the 23-man squad invited by Jose Peseiro for the mouth-watering clash against the 2016 Euro champions but on Monday, 14th November, the NFF said the player had pulled out of the game due to injury and had been replaced with Cyriel Dessers, who has been out for three weeks due to injury.

This development and report that the 23-year-old striker had suffered an injury has not gone down well with fans because Osihmen was in action in the entire duration for Napoli in their 3-2 win over Udinese, with the striker scoring the first goal of the Serie A clash.

And, on Tuesday, Napoli released a statement saying that the striker had suffered an injury, a claim that was immediately refuted by an Italian publication, La Gazzetta dello Sport, which wrote that the Nigerian had no physical condition.

READ MORE: Nigeria-Born Abba Gumel Elected Fellow of American Mathematical Society

In the Meantime, the report has not gone down well with some fans, considering the fact that Osimhen last featured in a friendly for Nigeria in 2019, and it was in a game against Brazil where the country played 1-1; meaning the forward has missed Nigeria’s last nine friendly games.

Contributing on this, Owoyomi Akinola, a sports enthusiast said, “Please set this guy aside, Nigeria is bigger than all this nonsense. Victor and Napoli always lie to Nigeria. If we will lose let us lose with our pride intact. Forget about Osimhen and give committed players a chance to play for Nigeria.”

A Twitter fan with username SodeeqAG then wrote, “The love Senegalese has for their country is far different from ours. I don’t think Osihmen himself is ready to serve his country. Imagine what Senegal’s coach always does to get his boys to his squad. We all remember what Watford tries doing for Ismaila Sarr and Bayern Munich for Mane.”

Hot this week

WAG Urges Women To Strategise For Greater Representation In Governance

Founder Women Aligned for Growth (WAG), Dr. Ifeyinwa Nwakwesi...

Stark Pages Initiative Launches Literary Students Program to Inspire Young Writers

The Stark Pages Creative and Literary Arts Initiative, a...

Ozoya Football Foundation Kicks Off a New Era with Charitable Initiative in Edo State

The Ozoya Football Foundation is making waves in Nigerian...

After Two Years of War, Sudan’s Military Secures Key Victory in Khartoum

Sudan’s military has recaptured the Republican Palace in the...

29 Internet Fraudsters Jailed in Benin as Nigeria Deepens Cybercrime Crackdown

Justice has caught up with 29 internet fraudsters in...

Fuel Prices Set to Rise in Nigeria as Dangote Refinery Halts Naira Sales

Nigerians could soon face higher fuel prices after the...

Related Articles

Popular Categories