Thursday, April 3, 2025

Malawi: Govt Closes Schools As Cholera Outbreak Spreads

The authorities in Malawi have suspended primary and secondary schools in two major cities following a cholera outbreak that has killed hundreds of people.

Schools in the capital, Lilongwe, and the commercial hub, Blantyre, will remain closed for at least two more weeks after the December festive holidays.

Meanwhile, Doctors without Borders, also known as Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), is increasing its medical support and assembling extra local and international experts to fight the raging outbreak.

MSF Emergency Response Coordinator, Yahya Kalilah, told Malawi local media that it is vital that the public receives information on the prevention of cholera, seeking medical help early, and increasing the uptake of the oral vaccine.

Cholera is an infectious disease among humans characterised by acute diarrheal symptoms. It is regarded as an infectious disease of poverty due to its prevalence in regions that are low-resourced with poor sanitary conditions.

READ MORE: Wanted woman suspected to be serial con arrested in Nairobi

With confirmed cases now at 21,522 and 716 deaths so far, Malawi is on the brink of the worst cholera outbreak since the first devastating outbreak in 1998 due to hunger.

With many Malawians in rural areas depending on uncovered wells for their drinking water, the situation could be dire during this rainy season.

The outbreak has spread to nearly all of Malawi’s 28 districts.

The Africa Centres for Disease Control says it is concerned about the rise in cholera deaths in Malawi, which it attributes to patients not getting treatment on time.

Eight female students at Ntcheu Secondary School have tested positive for cholera, education authorities in the district have confirmed.

The district’s director of education, youth, and sports, Sophia Rosemary Mthiko, said on Tuesday that so far, six of the affected students have been discharged while two are still in hospital.

In the midst of the outbreak, some districts in the central region, especially in Kasungu, have no supplies of the vaccine. The Kasungu District Health Office spokesperson, Catherine Yoweli, has confirmed the crisis.

She says the offices are currently outsourcing the vaccine from other districts and people will be able to access the vaccine soon.

“Only about 243,000 people in Kasungu were vaccinated against Cholera out of about a million people in the district,” she said.

Hot this week

WAG Urges Women To Strategise For Greater Representation In Governance

Founder Women Aligned for Growth (WAG), Dr. Ifeyinwa Nwakwesi...

Stark Pages Initiative Launches Literary Students Program to Inspire Young Writers

The Stark Pages Creative and Literary Arts Initiative, a...

Ozoya Football Foundation Kicks Off a New Era with Charitable Initiative in Edo State

The Ozoya Football Foundation is making waves in Nigerian...

After Two Years of War, Sudan’s Military Secures Key Victory in Khartoum

Sudan’s military has recaptured the Republican Palace in the...

29 Internet Fraudsters Jailed in Benin as Nigeria Deepens Cybercrime Crackdown

Justice has caught up with 29 internet fraudsters in...

Fuel Prices Set to Rise in Nigeria as Dangote Refinery Halts Naira Sales

Nigerians could soon face higher fuel prices after the...

Related Articles

Popular Categories