Friday, April 4, 2025

Olanrewaju Tasks Security Agencies To Give Special Attention To Lagos

Former minister of communications, Major General Tajudeen Olanrewaju (rtd), has appealed to the heads of security agencies to give Lagos State special attention, noting that the emergingmega-city has many flashpoints to warrant focused attention of the armed forces and other security services during the forthcoming elections.

Olanrewaju, former General Officer Commanding (GOC), Third Armoured Division Nigerian Army, made the observation in reply to the statement credited to the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Lucky Irabor, on the urgency and necessity of deploying defence forces against menaces by renegade essentials of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), who have said that elections would not hold in the Southeastern part of the country.

Explaining his position on election security, he said that Lagos being Nigeria’s most complex federating unit, should be included among other states taking special security attention. Olanrewaju urged the military high command and other security organisations to take particular look at major flashpoints in Lagos during elections, to ensure that no culprits have the freedom of time to disrupt the process.

READ MORE: 2023 Election: Abuja Global Shapers, YIAGA Sensitize The Voters

We need this military assurance that a free, fair, and believable election will be held in Lagos State.

We implore the Federal Government to deploy the armed forces before, during and after the 25th February election.

There are many flash points in Lagos State that make casting votes very delicate because of the activities of hoodlums, culprits and street rogues. They’re often used to create senseless disturbances in the strongholds of opponents, rendering acceptance of results untenable.

Recall that Irabor had assured Nigerians of the preparedness of the armed forces to ensure that this year’s elections would hold peacefully in the South East states and in all parts of the country in meanness of menaces by felonious essentials.

Responding to a question on the menace by the Simon Ekpa-led faction of IPOB to stop the elections in the Southeast Zone, Irabor said no person or group can stop the polls.

The armed forces is working in concert with the police and other security agencies to ensure that the danger of criminalities from IPOB and Eastern Security Network are excluded, ” he said.

Irabor also corroborated with the position of the minister of defence that “no territory of Nigeria is under the control of the Boko Haram or any other terrorist group, adding that all communities in the Northeast Zone of the country had been liberated from the felonious elements

Hot this week

WAG Urges Women To Strategise For Greater Representation In Governance

Founder Women Aligned for Growth (WAG), Dr. Ifeyinwa Nwakwesi...

Stark Pages Initiative Launches Literary Students Program to Inspire Young Writers

The Stark Pages Creative and Literary Arts Initiative, a...

Ozoya Football Foundation Kicks Off a New Era with Charitable Initiative in Edo State

The Ozoya Football Foundation is making waves in Nigerian...

After Two Years of War, Sudan’s Military Secures Key Victory in Khartoum

Sudan’s military has recaptured the Republican Palace in the...

29 Internet Fraudsters Jailed in Benin as Nigeria Deepens Cybercrime Crackdown

Justice has caught up with 29 internet fraudsters in...

Fuel Prices Set to Rise in Nigeria as Dangote Refinery Halts Naira Sales

Nigerians could soon face higher fuel prices after the...

Related Articles

Popular Categories